Big news today: Google has acquired Qwiklabs! We will be joining the Google Cloud team to help deliver hands-on lab learning for Google Cloud Platform, G Suite, and other products. We’re incredibly excited to now be a part of Google’s legendary cast of innovators.
Since starting Qwiklabs back in 2012, over half a million users have collectively spent over 5 million hours learning cloud technology through our platform. Our mission has been to transform technology learning from a passive watching experience to a hands-on doing experience. We’ve had to solve some gnarly technology problems along the way, but we eventually figured out how to deliver real-world lab learning environments in a reliable and operationally efficient way. It’s been an incredible rocket ride, and joining Google gives us more fuel to power the continued journey to realize our vision.
We plan to continue to offer lab learning credits and subscriptions for sale on Qwiklabs.com. Owners of existing credits and subscriptions continue to enjoy the same access to our library of hands-on labs. Our partners who deliver instructor-led training sessions and events can continue to do so.
We would like to thank all of our customers, partners, investors, and our employees and their families for their incredible support in bringing us this far. Great things lie ahead, and we can’t wait to get started.
The new AWS Certified Security – Specialty (Beta) exam is available now. Perfect timing! You can study up with the new Security on AWS Quest. Click here to enroll (enrolling is free). Get hands-on experience working with real use cases in the AWS Console while learning the practical applications of critical AWS security concepts and strategies.
Here’s what you should know about the new exam:
- For a limited time, sign up and get beta pricing. That’s a 50% discount (normally $300, now $150 – but register soon, the promo won’t last).
- In your next job upgrade, with this exam on your resume, target IT security-related positions around the world. According to Glassdoor.com, the average salary for an “IT Security” position is $95k in the US. Fine print: this isn’t a guarantee of any future salary in any way (but it’s a pretty compelling reason to explore opportunities).
- There are some eligibility requirements for this exam. For starters, you will need one of the following current AWS Certifications: AWS Certified Solution Architect – Associate, AWS Certified Developer – Associate, or AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate. Qwiklabs can help you study up for those, too. Check out the Solutions Architect – Associate, Developer – Associate, or the SysOps Administrator – Associate exam prep Quests.
A secure cloud environment is critical to doing business today. Prepare yourself (and your resume) to take on the security dragon with the newest Qwiklabs Quest: Security on AWS. Click here to enroll.
In this Quest, you will start by learning the basics of IAM and security-related tools like VPCs and the AWS Web Application Firewall (WAF). Then you’ll level-up to more advanced tools and use cases. This Quest is a great way to study up for the AWS Certified Security – Specialty exam (more on that tomorrow).
There are a total of six new labs in this Quest. If you’re an Advantage Subscriber, you already have unlimited access to the new labs (smart move!). If you’re not a subscriber, now might be a good time to consider signing up.
Here’s all the new stuff (the Quest costs a total of 69 credits, or save with a US $55 subscription):
On Veteran’s Day, AWS Educate announced a new program to help US veterans and their spouses skill up with cloud training and career resources. Are you a vet? Do you know a vet? This program is worth checking out.
The AWS Educate Program helps individuals skill up on the cloud with career-centric training and learning resources. The program focuses on 4 job families that align with the AWS Educate Job Board:
- Cloud Architect
- Software Developer
- Operations-Support Engineer
- Analytics and Big Data Specialist
Within these categories, the AWS Educate program offers 25+ different paths to prepare you for the next step in your cloud career.
AWS Educate Program benefits include:
What’s so special about November 7? On this date in 1492, the Ensisheim Meteorite, the oldest meteorite with a known date of impact, struck a wheat field in France. And, two years ago, we got Alexa!
Amazon Alexa is changing the way the world thinks about technology, whether you’re looking for some help when your kid might have a fever or if you want to modernize a 10-year-old Father’s day gift. Alexa has become an ubiquitous household helper.
But the real power of Alexa is developer accessibility. Literally anyone can get an Alexa skill up and running in a matter of hours. Got an idea? Yours can be the next “skill” (the Alexa equivalent of an app) in the library. And Qwiklabs can help! Click here to see all the different types of skills you can develop with Qwiklabs.
Heading AWS re:Invent-ward? Pre-register for an AWS Certification exam at re:Invent and get your hands on these exclusive benefits:
- Study up with 25 free Qwiklabs credits. Register for an onsite exam by Nov. 8 (11:59 PM PST) and you will get 25 free Qwiklabs credits (rewarded to your Qwiklabs account Nov. 9). Don’t have a Qwiklabs account yet? No worries, sign up by Nov. 8 and one will be created for you, with 25 credits ready and waiting. Already pre-registered? Your name’s on the list and you will see your reward Nov. 9. Click here for full details.
Use the credits however you want! But may I suggest enrolling in one of the AWS Exam Prep Quests (you can add a Quest badge to your resume too – show off your “flight hours” with the AWS Console!):
Developer-Associate Exam Prep Quest: Practice fundamental and advanced concepts for working with Amazon Simple Storage Service, AWS IAM, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon API Gateway, AWS Lambda, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS Security Token Service, Amazon CloudFront and Auto Scaling.
SysOps Administrator-Associate Exam Prep Quest: Practice fundamental and advanced concepts for working with AWS IAM, Amazon EC2, Amazon EBS, Amazon RDS, Amazon VPC, Auto Scaling, AWS CLI, and AWS CloudFormation.
Solutions Architect-Associate Exam Prep Quest: Practice fundamental and advanced concepts for working with Amazon EC2, Amazon CloudFront, Amazon EBS, AWS IAM, and Amazon VPC.
Solutions Architect-Professional Exam Prep Quest: Go to the next level of hands-on practice with key services addressed in the AWS Certified Solutions Architect –Professional exam blueprint.
More exclusive benefits at AWS re:Invent 2016:
Have you noticed anything different about Qwiklabs lately? We made some major changes to help make your lab experience even better. Here’s what’s new:
- Our Twitter handle is now (finally!) @Qwiklabs. Follow us and keep yourself up to date on the newest additions to the lab catalog.
And of course a new sign in the Boston office! Stay tuned – we are excited to continue improving your lab experience (: