Big data is one of the top growing career fields in tech right now (according to Dice, Forbes and others). Learning how to work with data in the cloud is easier than you think.
Challenge yourself! Start 2019 with a new Google Cloud badge. Set yourself a goal to complete the Data Engineering quest in 30 days. Use code 1q-30days-806 to get a free 30-day pass to Qwiklabs, and begin your challenge. EXTENDED to January 11 – enroll by Friday to get your free pass (:
This quest is designed to help you practice topics and use cases for the Data Engineering certification exam. Here’s some of what you’ll learn:
- Cloud TPU: Qwik Start – ! You get to play with TPUs and TensorFlow. Need I say more?
- Predict Housing Prices with Tensorflow and Cloud ML Engine – In this lab you will build an end to end machine learning solution using Tensorflow + Cloud ML Engine and leverage the cloud for distributed training and online prediction. For extra credit, check out this talk on forecasting stock returns with the same tools (:
- Predict Taxi Fare with a BigQuery ML Forecasting Model – Taxi! Explore millions of New York City yellow taxi cab trips available in a BigQuery Public Dataset, create a ML model inside of BigQuery to predict the fare, and evaluate the performance of your model to make predictions.
Complete the quest and automatically receive another 30-days free – what quest will you take next? And don’t forget to add your new Google Cloud badge to your resume:
Good luck, and best wishes to you for a healthy and happy 2019!
Flare leg jeans, Princess Leia headphones and dad sneakers are all back in style and improving with age (OK the headphones at least sound better). Know what else has improved since its invention in the 70s? SQL.
Whether you’re digging deep into Big Query on a daily basis or you’re peripherally aware that your company relies on a SQL database (it probably does), SQL is better than ever in 2018 when you pair it with the power of GCP’s infrastructure. Set yourself apart among your peers by enrolling in the new Cloud SQL quest and learn how your company can take advantage of Cloud SQL’s simplicity, reliability and security.
Use this link to enroll by Friday and you will get 35 credits to start your Quest free of charge. Hurry, offer ends soon!
Here’s some of what you will learn in the new quest:
- Introduction to SQL for BigQuery and Cloud SQL: Start with this high-rated lab to get a basic understanding of SQL and GCP. “Good examples” and “learned SQL commands” according to lab reviews.
- Choose your own adventure: Create a Cloud SQL instance with either Terraform or Deployment Manager. Or since you’re a subscriber, take both labs for no extra cost!
- Meme me up: Deploy a highly available and scalable “meme generator” application by configuring a Postgres Cloud SQL database and connecting it to a Kubernetes cluster.
May the force be with you on your quest!
New from Qwiklabs, save money and make your expense reports easy with an annual subscription. Get 1 year of unlimited access to the entire Qwiklabs catalog for one price. New labs are added daily – get in now and take advantage of all the new training we’ll publish in the next 12 months for no extra charge. Even better, an annual description gets you a 25% discount compared to a monthly subscription.
Annual subscription FAQs
Q: What do I do if I currently have a monthly subscription, but I want to save money and purchase an annual subscription?
A: Upgrade! Go to the Qwiklabs My Account page and you will see an option to upgrade your monthly subscription to annual. Any balance you have left on your current subscription will be pro-rated to your annual subscription.
Q: Do annual subscriptions auto-renew?
A: Yes, but you can cancel anytime. When you cancel, you can enjoy the remaining time left on your subscription, and you will not be charged again.
Q: I want to purchase one year only, without worrying about an auto-renewal.
A: No problem! Purchase an annual subscription, then immediately cancel it. Your subscription will remain active for a year and will not auto-renew.
Q: Does the subscription include Google labs and AWS labs?
A: Yes, both Google and AWS labs.
Q: What if I purchased credits? Can I transfer them to a subscription?
A: No, unfortunately you cannot do this.
Q: Can I share my subscription?
A: No, one subscription should be used by one individual.
Q: How many badges can I earn with an annual subscription?
A: Earn as many as you like – there is no limit.
Q: I have a question that is not answered here. Help!
A: Please reach out to Support and we’ll be happy to assist you.
What’s so special about Qwiklabs.com? It might be the only site you visit today that does not require your credit card. Just released, 10 free labs are available now in the GCP catalog. The new skills you learn will not break, go out of style or require batteries. Instead of online shopping, start your next career move free of charge and learn how to:
- Create a small App Engine application that displays a short message. Comes with video.
- Give your brain a workout by practicing with the Google Fitness API – and you’ll learn about the architecture and basic functioning of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
- Write a demo app that retrieves data from G Suite APIs. You can’t go wrong with free G Suite training. Plus, you’ll get a free start on your G Suite: Integrations quest.
- Create your own App Maker app that has a Google Cloud SQL Database, Google Maps integration, and a Mobile Responsive Design. And of course, fully published and ready to use.
Get these free labs and more at qwiklabs.com – and stay tuned, the catalog will continue to grow!
Join Google Cloud CEO Diane Greene and other experts for a free online conference on the future of artificial intelligence. The conference rolls through time zones too, so no matter where you are in the world, there’s a session for you.
Prepare yourself for deep-dives by taking cloud training ahead of time. Each of the following quests guides you through using GCP tools to answer an AI business question or solve a technical challenge. Use what you learn to ask the best questions and have the most meaningful conversations with your conference moderators. Use these links for a 1-month pass to Qwiklabs (free of charge, no CC required). Offer ends November 13th.
- Get your data insight-ready:
Enroll in the Baseline: Data, ML, AI quest to work with BigQuery, Cloud Speech API and Cloud ML Engine. Follow Mark as he guides your path in these 1-minute videos. You’re on your way to building a strong foundation in data management, cloud data warehouse and real-time analytics to implement AI.
2. Put AI to work, fast:
Enroll in the Data Science on GCP quests to practice data ingestion, preparation, exploration and visualization. Finish the first quest and move on to the next, which zooms in on running machine learning jobs with state-of-the-art tools and real-world data sets. The material for these quests comes from a book by Lak, who amongst others will elaborate on how data scientists, developers and others can incorporate AI into their products during the conference.
3. See AI in action:
Brush up on your ML skills with the Machine Learning APIs quest – some of my favorite labs guide you through use cases like image classification with Cloud Vision API and building an AI chatbot (: Then you’re well on your way to learn how businesses use AI to solve complex business problems like fighting fraud.
Think you can finish one of these quests in one month? Enroll now and be the stand-out participant at the conference!
It was a dark and stormy night. The power flickers, then goes out. Oh no, all of your servers in the next room are off! Your business is down until further notice!
Sound scary? We can help. Whether you’re moving from on-premise to the cloud or looking to build your cloud skills to make your next career move, learn how the public cloud can help you vanquish the monster in your closet with Google Cloud labs. And your Halloween treat? Click here to take the “happy Halloween” lab and you’ll get candy – wait – Qwiklabs credits (30 of them) – enough to take up to 10 labs free of charge. Hurry, offer ends at midnight (on November 2)!
Use those credits to get training on moving your business-critical apps from the server closet (it’s probably full of monsters after all) to Google Cloud. These labs will help you prepare for the move:
- Deploy an app that says “hello world and happy Halloween!” from the cloud with the App Engine: Qwik Start lab. This lab is part of the Baseline: Deploy & Develop quest. Enroll in the quest and get hands-on experience with the Google App Engine framework by launching Python, Ruby, and Java apps (just to name a few).
- Networking 101: Learn how GCP might differ from an on-premises setup. “Good explanation,” said one reviewer 2 days ago.
- Already using containers on-prem? Learn how to do it on the cloud with Google Container Engine. This lab earned seven 5-star reviews in the last 24 hours.
- The phrase “data loss” is almost as scary as meeting a werewolf in a creepy forest when you’re holding a rare hamburger. Learn how to use the Data Loss Prevention API to inspect a string of data for sensitive information and redact any that you find. The Data Loss Prevention API provides programmatic access to a powerful detection engine for personally identifiable information and other privacy-sensitive data in unstructured data streams. Try it with a lab.
- Uh-oh, your app has a bug in it. Learn how Stackdriver APM (Application Performance Management) can help you detect, track, and debug errors in your application with this lab. And mind the monster socks!
G Suite has over 4 million customers today, and growing. Are you one of them? Get the most out of G Suite and Google Cloud’s powerful tools. Just released, the G Suite: Integrations quest features 8 new G Suite labs, each one designed to make you look smarter than the one before. Get G Suite training on advanced tools like integrating BigQuery and Google Slides for data visualization and building your own custom apps for Google Sheets.
Complete all 8 labs and add the new G Suite badge to your resume. And if you’re one of the first 100 people to enroll using this link, you will receive 50 Qwiklabs credits free of charge (enough to complete the quest). Enroll now.
Here’s some of what you’ll do:
- Use the Apps Script CLI, or clasp, to create and publish web apps and add-ons for products like Sheets, Docs, Forms, and Slides from the command line. In this lab you will learn to create, edit, and deploy Apps Script projects locally.
- Build a chatbot for Hangouts Chat. This one is “Attendance Bot” – you will learn to integrate it with a user’s vacation responder and meetings in Calendar. What kind of chatbot would improve your daily routine (and maybe lunchbreak)?
- Got a presentation coming up? Use Google Slides API as a Custom Presentation Tool. Learn to build a presentation using the Google Slides API and BigQuery to present an analysis of the most common software licenses. Take what you learn in the lab to your next presentation and knock your stakeholders’ socks off.
- More Big Data and Slides – learn how to leverage two Google developer platforms, G Suite and Google Cloud Platform (GCP), to collect, analyze and present data.
Good luck on your quest! And don’t forget to share your badge when you complete it – @Qwiklabs – after all, you earned it.
London lab-takers, you were awesome last week! Between admiring Lei-Mei’s socks, attending spotlight lab sessions, and binge-reading Data Science on the Google Cloud Platform, the big story was security. ‘Security built into every layer of the system’ stated Diane Greene, Google Cloud chief executive, emphasizing Google’s commitment to GCP’s reliability and integrity.
There’s lots of talk about Google Cloud’s security capabilities, but why not try it out for yourself? Get hands-on experience with GCP’s powerful security features with cloud security training labs. Complete all 8 labs and you will earn the Google Cloud Security & Identity badge to show your experience.
And today, help us test a new feature and get 45 free Qwiklabs credits for your time. Use this link to enroll in the quest and enter code 1423 into this field:
You should see 45 credits added to your account free of charge. If you do not see the credits right away, you may need to log out and log back in.
Here are some of the skills you will learn:
- Familiarize yourself with Cloud Security Scanner, a tool that identifies security vulnerabilities in your Google App Engine web applications.
- Learn how Key Management Service can help you secure access to your files in the cloud. Work with advanced features of Google Cloud Security and Privacy APIs, including setting up a secure Cloud Storage bucket, managing keys and encrypted data using Key Management Storage, and viewing Cloud Storage audit logs.
- In a private cluster, nodes do not have public IP addresses. This means your workloads run in an environment that is isolated from the Internet. Try it for yourself with the lab Setting up a Private Kubernetes Cluster.
Good luck! And remember, if it’s on the network, assume it’s a risk…but don’t worry, Google Cloud’s security tools can handle it.
Interested in self-driving cars? Learn the technology behind the magic – then sit back, relax, and let the car do it for you.
- How do autonomous cars recognize speed limit signs? “See” for yourself with the Detect Labels, Faces, and Landmarks in Images with the Cloud Vision API lab (bonus, follow that link and get the lab free of charge). You’ll build a model that recognizes landmarks and items in photos with a simple REST API.
- Then, how do cars know the speed limit? The Extract, Analyze, and Translate Text from Images with the Cloud ML APIs lab shows you how to translate signs – not just read them – which means machine learning can improve your commute no matter what side of the road you drive on.
- Some cars know what’s around you – trucks, cars, motorcycles, even reindeer. Learn how to use Google’s Machine Learning tools to Classify Images of Clouds in the Cloud with AutoML Vision.
- Even when conditions aren’t perfect, cars can predict what’s next. Start making predictions with the Cloud ML Engine: Qwik Start lab.
With these labs, you’re well on your way to your next badge, Machine Learning APIs. Enroll here, and you’ll get 55 Qwiklabs credits to start your next Quest (limited offer, ends Friday, Sept. 21).
Good luck, buckle up!
Jobs in the tech industry (machine learning, AI, Cloud) will grow between 12%–37% through 2022. Your computer science curriculum can unlock possibilities for students’ career advancement. Take advantage of free Google Cloud Platform training resources to help your students grow computer science skills:
- If you’re associated with a non-profit university, complete this form to request free training on Qwiklabs and Coursera.
Next, use your benefit to have your students enroll in a few machine learning Quests:
- Baseline: Data, ML, AI Quest: Since machine learning is growing rapidly in the tech industry, help your students get started with data tools like Cloud SQL, BigQuery, APIs, Bigtable, Dataproc, Dataprep, and Cloud ML Engine. If your students are interactive learners, they can follow along Mark as he guides their path.
- Machine Learning APIs Quest: Give your students the opportunity to work with a handful of machine learning APIs. For example, they’ll work with Translation API and Natural Language API to translate text into other languages. They’ll also work with Cloud Vision API to capture text from images and Google Cloud Dialogflow to build a responsive chat bot.
- Data Science on GCP Quest. Challenge your students to use Tensorflow, Dataflow and Data Studio to practice all aspects of datasets, such as ingestion, exploration, visualization, etc.
Fun fact: This Quest is derived from the book, Data Science on Google Cloud Platform by Valliappa Lakshmanan. Lak is on a mission to democratize machine learning. If your students were to read the book, they will learn how to apply statistical and machine learning methods to real-world problems.
If your class is interested in learning about the fundamentals of Google Cloud in-person, register for a study jam. Your students will get free access to the GCP Essentials Quest during the session and you’ll get two days of free lesson plans. If they complete the Quest within 1 month of their session, they’ll get a 30-day pass to Qwiklabs (free of charge, no CC required). They can use the pass to tackle any of the machine learning Quests mentioned above.
Why wait? Take advantage of these programs and set your students up for success by helping them add these badges to their resumes: